Saturday, June 19, 2010

Branding: Does My Logo Work?

This is a question most business owners should ask themselves. Unless it's something point-blank like Joe's Hardware Store, your business name and logo may mean something entirely different to someone else. If it's at least relevant you might not think twice about it.

Does my logo work?

Recently I had a sit-down interviews with a couple of business mentors, and they both agreed I should consider changing my company name and logo entirely. Why? Sight unseen, they had not met me yet nor seen my business card, and their first impression of my company was that of an optometry business.

I had to stop and think for a moment. Optometry? How did they come to that conclusion? The only thing I could think of was they had focused on the middle word in my company name instead of taking in the entire name. There's no right or wrong in that type of assumption, but it was interesting, and honestly, a little frightening to hear.

Does my logo work?

It started me wondering if everyone else held a similar viewpoint. After consulting a few friends outside my profession, I concluded:

1. People sometimes perceive names of companies and their logos differently from the actual business owner's viewpoint;

2. The only way to change this perception is to continually educate people what my company is all about.

The reason the mentors asked me to consider changing my business name and logo is because they felt it would take a lot more marketing than had been done up to this point. But would it be better to undergo a complete name, a complete identity change and re-educate the public about my company?

Does my logo work?

I'm going to find out. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Lisa

No comments: